The Operations Supervisor is responsible for supervising, labor management, and planning of inbound, outbound, Product slotting and customer communication activities on a daily basis, including labor scheduling, space utilization, equipment and manpower. People management responsibilities include hiring and training, planning and assigning daily work, conducting performance appraisals, addressing performance issues and resolving problems. Under the direction of the Operations Manager or Distribution Center Manager, the Supervisor is responsible for supervising the receiving, warehousing and shipping of product in a manner consistent with company service and cost objectives.
As part of the DSV team, Associates are expected to meet company objectives in the areas of performance, safety, and quality. Associates are expected to comply with all corporate and site-specific policies.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, and Power Point)
• RF Scanners
• WMS functions
• Some college
• 2-4 years experience in a supervisory role
• 2-4 years forklift experience.
• Current or prior MHE certification
• Conducts staff meetings to review daily/weekly work activities, plan and assure continuous improvement.
• Effectively keeps senior management and client representatives informed of critical issues that affect the operations
• Ensures the development of systems and procedures for managing operations, equipment, and products in a safe and profitable manner in accordance with company policies, guidelines, and procedures. Manages operations to meet prescribes productivity and service goals. Complies with terms outlined in sites operating agreement with the client.
• Implements and reports on-going cost savings measures. Provides ideas and suggestions for more efficient operations.
• Meets all client specified KPI’s, and complies with Quality system requirements.
• Manages the operations to achieve prescribed objectives. Applies sound communication and motivational techniques, create programs to fairly and equitably supervise, counsel, and (where needed) discipline team members. Provides direction and support to the Human Resources. Assists in creating programs for hiring, training, and professional development. Participates in performance evaluation system for recommending promotions, wage increases, and other HR activities.
• Has overall training and evaluation responsibilities of warehouse staff.
• Plans the daily work schedule by reviewing existing work orders, arrival notices, and instructions from customers. Assesses priorities based on time sensitivity and available resources. Assigns duties to appropriate warehouse staff.
• Reviews pending jobs or trends, plan for reorganization of warehouse space, and needed changes in levels of supplies, equipment, or staffing needs.
• Trains new staff in assigned duties, or delegate training responsibility to experienced team member. Assesses progress of trainees, and add additional duties as appropriate.
• Keeps informed of quantity and quality of jobs being performed throughout the day, providing guidance and advice as necessary.
• Assigns supervisory duties to experienced team members acting as leads for lower level warehouse staff. Keeps abreast of progress or problems.
• Keeps Manager advised of progress or problems requiring attention on a daily basis. Holds regular meetings with warehouse staff to assess group’s overall status. Discusses ideas for improvement. Keeps staff informed of new developments.
• Assists in the physical operations as needed.
• Delivers results by leveraging the skills of the right people at the right time
• Maintains high degree of motivation in team members to retain focus of providing highest levels of customer satisfaction
• Provides ongoing growth and development opportunities for team members
• Provides input and conduct annual performance reviews for team members
• Supports adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Supports and trains team members with adherence to SOPs (corporate and client)
Management Information Systems
Ensures all team members are properly trained and efficient in the required information systems (including WMS systems) to meet company and client objectives and facilitate the efficient operation of the facility. Ensures that necessary computer software and hardware are purchased in accordance with Corporate IT policies and guidelines. Remains knowledgeable regarding changes in hardware and software technology. Develops proficiency in client systems.
Manages high level customer service standards for all functions. Assures that client accounts receive the required level of operational and administrative support. Maintains appropriate contact with all functions and respond to requests when required. Attends meetings with key customers to discuss any customer issues. Coordinates management of supplier/customer visits to the site. Promotes a positive relationship with clients by providing excellent customer service.
Marketing & Sales
Participates and assists Director and other company resources in planning new account strategies, prospecting for new opportunities, generating positive word of mouth, and participate in the development of quoting rates.
Supports the development of an annual operating budget. Develops and manages a system of controls to ensure that service levels and operational performance goals are met within prescribed cost, revenue, and profit parameters. Assists and supports to ensure that the budgeting and pricing activities are in compliance with contract guidelines.
Equipment & Facilities
Manages existing programs for maintaining company standards of sanitation, maintenance, security, housekeeping, safety and, equipment including material handling equipment (MHE). Ensures team members are properly trained on any MHE.
Keeps informed of relevant new technology and make recommendations as applicable.
Achieves company goals in terms of injury frequency ratings (IFR) and other safety metrics by establishing a proactive and participative safety culture within the operations. Audits warehouse daily for compliance with safety, security, and quality principles and rules. Maintains a clean, neat and orderly work area. Ensures all federal, provincial or other statutory requirements are adhered to within the parameters of Health and Safety.
• Supervises warehouse associates and team leads
• Communicates all problems and questions to manager
• Assist the operations/general manager as needed
• Follows all safety procedures at all times
• Responsible for all equipment, supplies, documents, and materials related to job.
• Responsible for following all DSV policies and procedures
• Complies with all federal, state, and local regulations